Hoven Opportunity Scholars Program
This scholarship is for Spring and Summer
The Hoven Opportunity Scholars Program (HOSP) has been created to support students who are the first in their families to attend college. The College of Coastal Georgia defines first-generation college students as those whose parents or guardians have no post-secondary degree (irrespective of other family members such as older siblings, aunts, or uncles)
The scholarships would complement the Center for Academic Success (CAS) as well as the services of the TRIO student support services program and other campus wide student support programs. Funding would be utilized to support the creation and launch of this program in fall 2015. The goal of the Hoven Opportunity Scholars program is to support first-generation college students and enhance their ability to successfully graduate. Selected students (no more than 10) receive an annual award of $5,000, which is renewable for a total award of $20,000 over 4 years.
Criteria for award of support from the Hoven Opportunity Scholars Program:
▪ Be a first-generation student, which means that your parents or guardians have no post-secondary degree.
▪ Be an incoming first-time, full-time freshman.
▪ Apply, and be admitted to the College of Coastal Georgia.
▪ Apply for this scholarship via the College of Coastal Georgia’s online scholarship application process.
▪ Demonstrate verifiable financial need.
▪ Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen and be eligible for in-state student tuition.
▪ Intend to live on campus and apply for campus housing by the required dates.
▪ Demonstrated involvement and potential for leadership through extracurricular activities or community service.
▪ Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the deadline set by the college.
Pending funding, these awards are renewable upon application, with eligibility for up to three additional one-year scholarships toward undergraduate studies, provided scholarship recipients meet the following criteria:
▪ Maintain full-time student status.
▪ Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
▪ Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.